Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Same-sex marriage advocate buoyed by Malcolm Turnb
scepo
 Posted: Jul 10 2017, 07:01 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3

Rep: 65 pts

Same-sex marriage advocate buoyed by Malcolm Turnbull's response to Senator Dean Smith's bill plan

user posted image

Photo: Malcolm Turnbull (L) has not criticised Dean Smith's gay marriage bill, saying senators can "raise whatever issues they like". (ABC News)

Prominent gay marriage advocate Rodney Croome says he is more confident than at any time since the last election that same-sex marriage is about to be legalised in Australia.

Key points:

Malcolm Turnbull did not rebuke Liberal senator for drafting a same-sex marriage bill

Gay marriage advocate says if free vote allowed "this will pass"

Senator Dean Smith wants the matter "resolved before the end of this parliamentary year"

His newfound confidence comes after gay Liberal Senator Dean Smith confirmed he was drafting a same-sex marriage bill and the Prime Minister did not rebuke him.

Mr Croome said he believed this time there is one about to succeed.
"I'm more confident now that we'll see marriage equality achieved in the near future than at any time since the last election," he said.

Mr Turnbull told reporters in Paris on Saturday: "Dean crossed the floor against the plebiscite bill in the Senate you know, so he's got a longstanding view about it."

"In our party room members are allowed to raise whatever issues they like."

Game of snakes and ladders?

user posted image

It is a game of snakes and ladders for the Liberals hoping to change the law to allow same-sex marriage.

Privately, Coalition frontbenchers have also noted the PM has not criticised Senator Smith.

Mr Croome said he believed it was a positive development.

"The Prime Minister seems OK with this path being forged... and the best thing the Prime Minister can do now I think is just step out of the way and allow his party room to decide if they will have a free vote or not," Mr Croome said.

"If they do decide to have a free vote... believe me this will pass, it'll take no more than a couple of hours and Australia can finally move on from a debate that has gone on for too long."

Debate should be 'resolved before the end of this year'

Earlier Mr Turnbull said Government policy was for the issue to be voted on through a plebiscite, not a vote in Parliament.

The Coalition cannot get the parliamentary support needed to hold a plebiscite in this term of government, but Senator Smith wants action sooner than after the next election.

"I am of the strong and clear view the matter should be discussed again and resolved before the end of this parliamentary year," Senator Smith said.

"I have been consistent and remain of the view the plebiscite lacks community support and a conscience vote is a tried and trusted method to resolve issues such as same-sex marriage."

Where to from here?

user posted image

The same-sex marriage plebiscite was blocked in the Senate — as expected — but the debate is far from over.

He said his bill would allow any two people to marry, while protecting religious freedoms.

Last month Senator Smith told The Huffington Post he believed the issue should be re-examined next month.

"I think we could see marriage equality as early as August, Senator Dean Smith will put forward legislation then his party room will decide whether it has a free vote," Mr Croome said.

Once Senator Smith's bill is finalised it will be technically possible to adapt it for introduction into either house.

Parliament is due to sit again for two weeks from August 8.

Smith bill follows Pyne leak

In a leaked recording made public by News Corp last month, Liberal frontbencher Christopher Pyne suggested gay marriage would be legalised soon.

"Friends, we are in the winner's circle — but we have to deliver a couple of things and one of those things we've got to deliver before too long is marriage equality in this country," Mr Pyne said to a private Liberal party function.

"We're going to get it. I think it might even be sooner than everyone thinks.

"And your friends in Canberra are working on that outcome."

Former Prime Minister Tony Abbott suggested the comments showed Mr Pyne had been a disloyal member of this Cabinet. Mr Pyne later apologised for saying them.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-09/same-sex-marriage-advocate-confident-it-could-be-legal-by-august/8692248

http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/rolleyes.gif http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_don_t_know.gif There you have it.

--------------------
Everybody is Willing:
Some are willing to work, the rest are willing to let them!

The older I get, the better I was.
PM
^
Flin
 Posted: Jul 10 2017, 07:35 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Rep: 47 pts

The Country is going down the gurgler while the politicians fiddle.

--------------------
Living In An Elected Dictatorship
Flin's opinions and comments reflect his perception of the facts and not necessarily reality
PMEmailWebsite
^
charka
 Posted: Jul 10 2017, 08:47 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Active Member
Member No.: 11

Rep: 48 pts

Why is this rubbish still going on a non binding plebiscite what a waste put it on the vote cards A crying minority user posted image Why are we not asked How many millions wasted

This post has been edited by charka: Jul 10 2017, 08:53 AM
PMEmail
^
scepo
 Posted: Jul 10 2017, 04:29 PM

Supremo Poster

It was always going to happen.

All part of the Marxist plot to create a society of generic, genderless and above all mindless robots who just do as they are told.

--------------------
Everybody is Willing:

PM
^
charka
 Posted: Jul 11 2017, 07:17 AM

Supremo Poster

Why not ask us This is from a screeching minority
PMEmail
^
Bill
 Posted: Jul 11 2017, 03:28 PM

Diamond

Member No.: 85

Rep: 8 pts

To put this into perspective - Dean Smith's 'Bill' is only going to the Potty Room, (not the Parliament), to try to overturn the Potty Room decision to back a plebiscite or nothing, so that the libs can vote according to their 'conscience'..

There is already a Marriage Equality Bill before the Parliament. It was passed by the Senate some time ago.

All it would take is for the manager of opposition business, (Christopher Pyne), in the HoR to allow that bill to be debated and voted on. Even it the Liberals held firm and didn't allow a 'conscience' vote, Labor, the Green, and the Independents - plus a couple of notable supporters on the government side, would see the bill passed. The Lib supporters would probably have to take a toilet break while the bill was voted on. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/biggrin.gif

The problem with that scenario is that Pyne is not allowed to put the bill on the notice paper, so there is no debate and no vote until the Potty Room has the numbers for a conscience vote.

Abbott would see this as a Clayton's leadership spill..
http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/lbill.gif

--------------------
It's a tough gig being the only duck in the shooting gallery
PM
^
Charles
 Posted: Jul 11 2017, 04:14 PM

Rana Capillum

Group: Featured Blogers
Member No.: 17

Rep: 141 pts

Your analysis may be quite right Bill. However, answer me this: "Why have Labor and the Greens opposed a plebiscite?'"
I think I know the real answer. Labor and the Greens are afraid to give people a voice.
A plebiscite may or may not be binding, but at least the view of the overall population would be aired.
The concept of a "conscience vote" is utter nonsense. It has nothing to do with the views of the electorate and everything to do with the views of individual MPs. How many of these MPs have canvassed their electorate to gain an insight into the opinion of those who elected them. I would suggest very few.

--------------------
It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. - Robert Lynd

Golf and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at either of them. - Jimmy DeMaret
PMEmail
^
charka
 Posted: Jul 12 2017, 06:47 AM

Supremo Poster

One of the most corrup people on earth You are right vwhy can we not have a voice Conscience vote This is for a screeching minority
PMEmail
^
charka
 Posted: Jul 12 2017, 06:54 AM

Supremo Poster

One of the most corrupt people on earth You are right vwhy can we not have a voice Conscience vote This is for a screeching minority
PMEmail
^
scepo
 Posted: Jul 12 2017, 12:08 PM

Supremo Poster

All it would take is for the manager of opposition business, (Christopher Pyne)

Well I'll be buggered. I didn't know Whiney Pyney had defected. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Charles @ Jul 11 2017, 04:14 PM)
Your analysis may be quite right Bill. However, answer me this: "Why have Labor and the Greens opposed a plebiscite?'"
I think I know the real answer. Labor and the Greens are afraid to give people a voice.
A plebiscite may or may not be binding, but at least the view of the overall population would be aired.
The concept of a "conscience vote" is utter nonsense. It has nothing to do with the views of the electorate and everything to do with the views of individual MPs. How many of these MPs have canvassed their electorate to gain an insight into the opinion of those who elected them. I would suggest very few.

Democracy at work Charles. http://s7.postimg.org/j7qtvsrc7/sarcasm.gif

The progressives will never give up. They will try every means possible until they finally get their way.

--------------------
Everybody is Willing:

PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll