Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

The "Land of Cheats" strikes again at Aldi
Flin
 Posted: Jul 10 2017, 08:25 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Rep: 47 pts

Aldi tap that’s in 12,000 households contaminates water with up to 15 times the allowable lead limit
user posted image

TESTS on water run through a cheap Aldi tap from China have found up to 15 times the maximum allowable level of lead.

The estimated 12,000 households that bought an Easy Home spiral spring mixer are now being warned against using it for drinking or cooking.

“There is a cause for concern,” said Brett Bassett, head of the Queensland Building and Construction Commission, which identified the threat and commissioned the testing.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission also cautioned against using the $79.99 tap and said it had begun an investigation.

“If there is a risk that consumer goods may cause injury the ACCC expects suppliers and manufacturers to put voluntary recalls in place to protect consumers,” a spokesman said.

The results of the QBCC tests are all the more surprising because the tap came in well below permitted levels when certified against the Australian standard. Melbourne’s IAPMO R&T Oceana cleared the tap, which came in at 9.5 times under the lead limit.

“Everything we have on file indicates the product fully complies. It looks 100 per cent kosher,” IAPMO technical adviser Glenn Tate said yesterday.

The tests for the QBCC were done by Queensland Health’s Forensic and Scientific Services unit using a single tap. Further testing will be done, including by breaking a tap to find out how much lead is in the brass parts.

The Aldi taps were made by Zhejiang Keen Faucet Co, based about 300km south of Shanghai. Its company motto is “survive on high quality, seek development with prestige, mutual benefit and coexistence”.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/lifestyle/home-garden/aldi-tap-thats-in-12000-households-contaminates-water-with-up-to-15-times-the-allowable-lead-limit/news-story/27109caaefa3e4017331d1682593bcdd

The "Land of Cheats" strikes again.

--------------------
Living In An Elected Dictatorship
Flin's opinions and comments reflect his perception of the facts and not necessarily reality
PMEmailWebsite
^
charka
 Posted: Jul 10 2017, 08:55 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Active Member
Member No.: 11

Rep: 48 pts

Well that will dumb us down So much for buyer protection
PMEmail
^
Alicia
 Posted: Jul 10 2017, 09:25 AM

Ruby

Member No.: 53

Rep: 7 pts

Can't trust anything that comes out of China in my opinion. Why do we still buy chinese made? It is not only cheaper, it is nasty. When are our buildings which have chinese steel in them , going to fail and cause misery here? Anything which doesn't meet Australian standards should be illegal to import. http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_IMHO.png
PMEmail
^
Phillip J.
 Posted: Jul 10 2017, 12:28 PM

Platinum

Member No.: 16

Rep: 31 pts

The point here is, in my opinion, does the product comply with Australian Standards? If they don't comply, why are they for sale in this country? If they are accepted, does that mean the the Australian Standard rules are too low? Aldi isn't a "2 Dollar" fly-by-night store, so how is it that they are pushing products that are not meeting Australian requirements? The article states that the ACCC is beginning investigations, meanwhile all the other official bodies in different states have approved and cleared the same product! Well, I'm all tapped out! http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_don_t_know.gif

--------------------
Live as if the world were as it should be, to show how it could be.
If what we do doesn't matter, then the only thing that matters is what we do.
PMEmail
^
lee
 Posted: Jul 10 2017, 02:48 PM

Klingonite

Member No.: 48

Rep: 17 pts

The results of the QBCC tests are all the more surprising because the tap came in well below permitted levels when certified against the Australian standard. Melbourne’s IAPMO R&T Oceana cleared the tap, which came in at 9.5 times under the lead limit.

One part for testing, others of inferior quality for sale?

--------------------
Life is neither a race to the end, nor a slow ramble whose sole aim is longevity

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
PM
^
charka
 Posted: Jul 10 2017, 03:50 PM

Supremo Poster

Member No.: 11

Rep: 48 pts

Shanghai Sam sign off on it
PMEmail
^
scepo
 Posted: Jul 10 2017, 04:26 PM

Supremo Poster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3

Rep: 65 pts

Flin is right, they are cheats. No morals, no ethics.

--------------------
Everybody is Willing:
Some are willing to work, the rest are willing to let them!

The older I get, the better I was.
PM
^
Phillip J.
 Posted: Jul 10 2017, 07:24 PM

Platinum

Member No.: 16

Rep: 31 pts

Let me just say, along the same lines, what about similar items for sale at, say, Bunnings and other shops like that? I'm only saying this because probably all the stores are selling the same substandard items, I would imagine. It has to come back to the government allowing this sort thing to continue, in spite of the so-called standards that Australia claims to oversee! 👎

--------------------
Live as if the world were as it should be, to show how it could be.
If what we do doesn't matter, then the only thing that matters is what we do.
PMEmail
^
scepo
 Posted: Jul 11 2017, 06:21 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3

Rep: 65 pts

I think the problem is in the lack of quality control in the manufacturing. One batch can be ok then the next can be sky high with toxicity.

It applies to many Chinese manufactured products not just these particular taps.

Not every single item can be tested.

--------------------
Everybody is Willing:
Some are willing to work, the rest are willing to let them!

The older I get, the better I was.
PM
^
Alicia
 Posted: Jul 11 2017, 10:42 AM

Ruby

Member No.: 53

Rep: 7 pts

More people should take back the products which fail, the vendor may eventually get sick of replacing defective products. He/she may even stock quality products in the future.
PMEmail
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll