|Home Page||Members Calendar Gallery Arcade Search|
|Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )||Resend Validation Email|
Posted: Dec 12 2017, 09:56 AM
Group: Featured Blogers
Member No.: 17
Joined: 17-January 12
Rep: 142 pts
New York City blast: Bomb detonated in subway station, injuring three, bomber in custody
Sarah Blake and Lena Bell in New York
Tuesday, 12 December 2017 5:25AM
Alleged bomber Akayed Ullah is taken to hospital after he attempted to detonate a device in a New York subway station. Picture: Supplied.
ONE of Manhattan’s busiest commuter hubs was hit by a suspected terror attack, when a bomb was ignited on a subway platform at the Port Authority Bus Terminal during rush hour.
Police have identified the would-be jihadi as 27-year-old as Akayed Ullah, who intentionally detonated an improvised low-tech explosive device injuring three nearby people.
Ullah had wires attached to him and was armed with a pipe bomb and a battery pack, which he tried set off in the subway around 7.20am (11.20pm AEDT) Monday local time, according to police sources.
The New York Post reported the bomber was a former New York taxi driver who told investigators he carried out the attack for revenge on recent Israeli actions in Gaza.
“They’ve been bombing in my country and I wanted to do damage here,” police sources quoted the bomber as saying.
CNN reported Ullah had pledged allegiance to ISIS while talking with authorities. That claim is now being investigated.
Ullah suffered burns to his abdomen and hands and was in custody at New York’s Bellevue Hospital.
Local media reported that the suspect was from Bangladesh and lived in Brooklyn, having been in the US for seven years.
The three injured people took themselves to nearby hospitals where they reported minor injuries, including ringing to the ears.
Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop has urged Australians travelling overseas to be vigilant in the wake of the New York attack but says there is no need for people to change their travel plans.
“Australians should continue with their travel plans but this is another shocking reminder that a terrorist attack can take place anywhere,” Ms Bishop told Channel Seven’s Sunrise program.
“I urge people to be vigilant, be aware and follow the directions of local authorities.
“I also suggest that people log onto our Smart Traveller website before they travel overseas to get the latest advice.”
A police spokesman said the device was based on a pipe bomb, which the bomber attached to his body with a combination of velcro and cable ties.
The device partially detonated below ground inside the subway passageway to the N, Q and R trains near 7th and 8th avenues on 42nd St and was captured on surveillance video.
Police on the scene told News Corp Australia they were “not allowed” to comment.
Following Monday’s attack, commuters told of mass chaos and a “stampede” following the explosion as New York commuters fled in terror through the smoky passageway.
Governor Andrew Cuomo said a bomb in the New York subway was “one of our worst nightmares” but that the reality of the attack was that it was an “effectively low-tech device”.
“There were several injuries, we hope minor and it was handled extraordinarily well,” Governor Cuomo said.
He said disruptions to the train and bus services had been restored. “This is New York and the reality is that we are a target for many who would like to make a statement against democracy, against freedom,” he said.
He said there were no further credible threats against the city and the device was “an amateur level explosive device”.
“We have the best law enforcement on the globe and now are all working together extremely well,” he said.
Port Authority is the largest bus terminal in the United States with about 232,000 commuters passing through each day.
The peak hour explosion plunged Manhattan’s traffic into gridlock, with multiple streets in mid-town New York closed.
President Donald Trump was briefed on the explosion, said White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders.
However, the President’s first tweet of the day, at 9.17am (1.17am AEDT) local time, was not related to the bombing but to again attack The New York Times.
“Another false story, this time in the Failing @nytimes, that I watch 4-8 hours of television a day — Wrong! Also, I seldom, if ever, watch CNN or MSNBC, both of which I consider Fake News. I never watch Don Lemon, who I once called the “dumbest man on television!” Bad Reporting,” Mr Trump tweeted.
The bombing, which former New York Police Commissioner Bill Bratton said he had been told by sources in the department the explosion was an “ISIS-inspired attack”, would be New York City’s second ISIS-inspired attack in less than two months.
On October 30, a man drove his rented truck down a cycle path along the Hudson River, killing eight and injuring 11 others.
Thankfully nobody was killed.
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed,
if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." - Mark Twain
"A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw
Posted: Dec 12 2017, 04:21 PM
Member No.: 3
Joined: 21-July 11
Rep: 65 pts
Nothing to do with Islam of course.
Everybody is Willing:
Some are willing to work, the rest are willing to let them!
The older I get, the better I was.
Posted: Dec 12 2017, 06:14 PM
Member No.: 1
Joined: 20-July 11
Rep: 47 pts
Good thing he had all that Velcro and cable ties or someone could have been seriously injured, eh?
Living In An Elected Dictatorship
Flin's opinions and comments reflect his perception of the facts and not necessarily reality