Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

Pages: (4) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Pollies Celebrate SSM
Charles
 Posted: Dec 8 2017, 08:39 AM

Rana Capillum

Group: Featured Blogers
Member No.: 17

Rep: 141 pts

Go and get married, PM celebrates gay win

Jennifer Rajca
Friday, 8 December 2017 6:12AM

user posted image

Same-sex marriage is now legal after the governor-general signed a bill that parliament passed.

Same-sex couples will be able to marry from early January after the governor-general signed-off new marriage equality laws.

Sir Peter Cosgrove gave the laws royal assent on Friday morning when he was visited by Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Attorney-General George Brandis in Canberra.

"It is now part of Australian law," an elated Mr Turnbull said.

Earlier the prime minister did the rounds of morning television encouraging his fellow Australians to start making wedding preparations.

"It is a big Australian hug for all same-sex couples, saying we love and respect you, now go out there and get married," he told the Seven Network.

Mr Turnbull described the postal survey as a game-changer for the issue, now resolved after years of debate.

He criticised Labor for not progressing the matter when in office but said the victory now belongs to the whole parliament.

The passage of the laws would not put religious freedoms at risk or traditional marriage, he insisted.

"People that think gay people making a commitment is is a threat to her marriage fails to realise that the real threat is lack of commitment," Mr Turnbull said.

A clearly emotional attorney-general shared a drink with Labor senator Penny Wong after the vote to celebrate.

"To see the galleries of the House of Representatives just explode spontaneously was something that was unforgettable," Senator Brandis told ABC radio.

"Of all the things I've done since I've been in parliament I think this is the one that will be most consequential."

The new laws cleared parliament unchanged on Thursday evening after a marathon debate lasting 56 hours and despite a push from conservative MPs for additional religious protections.

Only four MPs in the House of Representatives voted against the private bill, a week after the legislation was agreed to by the Senate.

Labor leader Bill Shorten said the new law spoke for a modern, "inclusive and fair" Australia.

Same-sex couples will be able to lodge formal intentions to wed from Saturday allowing them to marry from January 9.

Gay couples who tied the knot overseas will have their unions officially recognised as soon as the laws gain royal assent.

https://thewest.com.au/politics/wedding-bells-to-ring-over-gay-marriages-ng-s-1807032

While opposed to SSM "marriage" I accept the decision and will move on. I can even feel empathy for those gay couples who have hid their relationship for fear of public condemnation.

One thing is fairly certain. We won't see conservative people who opposed the bill taking to the streets, protesting and destroying public property simply because of a democratic decision. They are above that.

A final question. Now that they have achieved the equality they desired, will those "alphabetic" exhibitionists cease to conduct their embarrassing and often obscene displays in the form of the Mardi Gras? Somehow I doubt it!

--------------------
"In our age there is no such thing as 'keeping out of politics.' All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred and schizophrenia." - George Orwell

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

PMEmail
^
scepo
 Posted: Dec 8 2017, 09:22 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3

Rep: 65 pts

I also was against it Charles, and always will be against it. But the majority of Australians voted for it in a survey that was clearly designed to get the result that it did.

Accept it, of course I accept it.

However I no longer consider myself married. Marriage is no longer what I took my vows for, or what I signed up to.

Having said that I have no intention of getting divorced to make a point to a bunch of people who simply could not care about me or my beliefs or values.

It has been pushed for decades now on the catchcry that it is about love and about equality. That of course is a big fat lie. You can love whoever you choose without marriage and it is possible to have equality without marriage.

But it was a catchcry that the gullible swallowed eagerly in the end. Hook, line and sinker in fact.

And yes you are quite right, I also will not be taking to the streets, screaming and howling and destroying property like a spoilt brat and sore loser. I have too much pride and too much respect for others and their property, to stoop to that kind of behaviour.

I suspect that the mardi gras will only grow in size and push the boundaries ever further.

--------------------
Everybody is Willing:
Some are willing to work, the rest are willing to let them!

The older I get, the better I was.
PM
^
Flin
 Posted: Dec 8 2017, 10:56 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Rep: 47 pts

It truly is the end of our society as we know it. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/mad.gif

--------------------
Living In An Elected Dictatorship
Flin's opinions and comments reflect his perception of the facts and not necessarily reality
PMEmailWebsite
^
Alicia
 Posted: Dec 8 2017, 11:01 AM

Ruby

Group: Active Member
Member No.: 53

Rep: 7 pts

I wait with bated breath for the first prosecutions connected to SSM. I am also going to be interested in any changes in education of our children. I hope we don’t see any child abuse in the form of inappropriate sex ed of children of inappropriate age for the lesson content. Where do we draw the line? When does education become brain washing? When will people in Australia just be Australian without any other accompanying descriptors? http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_don_t_know.gif
PMEmail
^
charka
 Posted: Dec 8 2017, 02:07 PM

Supremo Poster

Member No.: 11

Rep: 48 pts

They both lied about protections I hate them all All this for hurt feelings and minorities posturing do nothing fools this has not fixed any problems user posted image

This post has been edited by charka: Dec 8 2017, 04:59 PM
PMEmail
^
Bear
 Posted: Dec 8 2017, 02:45 PM

Silver

Member No.: 79

I agree with all the above comments.

I actually think it was all a BIG set up by our pathetic politicians, if they didn't get the result that 'they' wanted it would have been pushed through anyway, and the gay community knew it - or else they would scream abuse until it happened!

How long will it last?

user posted image

Live blog: Parliament votes to legalise same-sex marriage.

December 7, 2017

Kennedy MP Bob Katter has told Parliament that Christians are “a little paranoid”.

“We have a history of being picked on in a big way,” Katter said.

“Please excuse me for being a little paranoid today and extremely worried.”

Katter then went on to explain something about how boys are told they “have to go to school dressed up as a girl”.

“Mr Speaker, I repeat for the third time, every single effort to protect religious freedom has been denigrated today,” he said.

“I would like to ask the Christians in Australia to remember not one time did the parliament protect them today.”

Matthew Doran

@MattDoran91
A lot of tears on the floor of the House. A lot of hugs.

The galleries have erupted. @politicsabc

5:59 PM - Dec 7, 2017

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/gay-marriage/live-blog-parliament-continues-samesex-marriage-bill-debate/news-story/87b6988f6c891476a85c4422542a67c5

http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/Smiley_winknod.gif

Edit:

Mr Abbott said existing celebrants will already be given this right and this should be extended to new celebrants.

Currently under the bill, two categories of celebrants would be created: “religious celebrants” who would be able to refuse to marry couples on religious grounds, and “civil celebrants” who would not.

The protection of religious freedoms will be dealt with separately next year after former immigration minister Philip Ruddock and a panel review whether Australian law adequately protects the human right to religious freedom.

But Mr Abbott said these should have been dealt with before politicians were asked to vote on the bill, as promised by the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition.

This post has been edited by Bear: Dec 8 2017, 06:32 PM

--------------------
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason.

~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz,

We live in a world in which politics has replaced philosophy. ~Martin L. Gross, A Call for Revolution, 1993

"Stupid people are like glow sticks: I wanna snap em and shake the shit outta them till the light comes on."
PM
^
Phillip J.
 Posted: Dec 8 2017, 06:32 PM

Platinum

Member No.: 16

Rep: 32 pts

Personally, I'm disgusted at the way Turnbull, in particular, is carrying on... "WE DID IT!" What's this "we did it?" Is he claiming some sort of victory, or what?
I naturally assume that they will have no need of the Mardi Gras now that thev've got their way? I personally don't know the percentage of gay people in Australia, but how come a minority can dictate and get their way, just like that? It will be, as Flin said, the end of our society, as we know it!
I'm finding it hard to watch the news at the moment, with all the "joyous" behaviour. I just walk out until it's over. I pick up a magazine and it has articles with two guys being very happy together, overjoyed they were. One had flowers in his hair. Really, it means that they are getting full media coverage, but I don't recall any magazines covering my wedding. I guess it wasn't as important as these two men! If they've apparently won, can't they stop with the bullshit now? They've got their equality now, so is it possible to shut up and live the "normal" life, you know, the one that they cried for, demanded, insisted on? They should be able to drop the rainbow theme, and get their entitled selves along to the registry office, or a church somewhere, and get married. It's what they all cried for, so bloody do it, or was it all just talk? http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/mad.gif http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_don_t_know.gif

--------------------
Live as if the world were as it should be, to show how it could be.
If what we do doesn't matter, then the only thing that matters is what we do.
PMEmail
^
Alicia
 Posted: Dec 8 2017, 08:36 PM

Ruby

Member No.: 53

I agree with those who think that the protections should have been included in the bill. Heaven knows, they had enough time to do the research for it. No one will want ro revisit the SSM after the saturation we had.
PMEmail
^
Bill
 Posted: Dec 8 2017, 09:30 PM

Diamond

Member No.: 85

Rep: 8 pts

Well.....the sky didn't fall in this morning, and it probably won't tomorrow, or the next day, or the day after that.

LGBTIQ Australians probably only number about 5% of our people or roughly 1.5 million, but about 8 million said yes in a 'survey' to allow them the right to marry.

The politicians did the job that we pay them for - something that they could have done ages ago if they were allowed a conscience vote in the Parliament.

--------------------
It's a tough gig being the only duck in the shooting gallery
PM
^
Phillip J.
 Posted: Dec 8 2017, 09:49 PM

Platinum

Member No.: 16

Rep: 32 pts

What do you think, Bill? Now that they've achieved the "normal" life, do you think they'll settle down, piss the rainbows off, can the Mardi Gras, etc. Normal people don't do Mardi Gras, and they've apparently won their right to be "normal", I would assume that all the prancing and dancing will stop now. The minority won, so how about they join the majority, and drop all the LGBTQABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ! http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/mad.gif http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_don_t_know.gif

--------------------
Live as if the world were as it should be, to show how it could be.
If what we do doesn't matter, then the only thing that matters is what we do.
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (4) 1 2 3 ... Last »
Add Reply
New Poll