Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

Pages: (5) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Bennelong By-Election
Charles
 Posted: Dec 17 2017, 08:41 AM

Rana Capillum

Group: Featured Blogers
Member No.: 17

Rep: 142 pts

Bennelong by-election: John Alexander’s win marred by bizarre joke about disabled people

News Corp and AAP Saturday, 16 December 2017 11:44PM

user posted image

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and newly elected Liberal member for Bennelong John Alexander celebrate at the by-election night party at the West Ryde Leagues Club in Sydney.

John Alexander has emerged from the citizenship drama to claim back to the seat of Bennelong for the Liberal Party.

The Turnbull government has retained its one-seat majority after John Alexander won back the Sydney seat of Bennelong, despite a swing against him following a bitterly fought campaign.

But Alexander shocked with a bizarre joke during his victory speech, appearing to suggest he has "more pride" than the disabled.

With Turnbull at his side, Alexander told an anecdote about his former career as a professional tennis player - a career that came to an end due to a back injury.

"I was eligible for the disabled sticker on my car! The doctor at the time said, ’You have eligibility for a disabled sticker.’ I said, ’I still have some pride.’ That was before I entered politics!"

Sky News presenters covering the outcome of the election suggested Alexander would surely apologise before too long - and his comments have already drawn condemnation:

Mr Alexander’s victory against Labor’s star candidate, former NSW premier Kristina Keneally, will come as a relief to Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull. The Liberal Party will retain the seat with a margin of 9.7 per cent, despite a swing against Alexander of around 5 per cent.

"There is no sign of a swing larger than that or significantly larger than that which could endanger the Liberal Party holding the seat and John Alexander will be re-elected," ABC election analyst Antony Green said.
Former Liberal senator Cory Bernardi’s new party, Australian Conservatives is running a candidate, who has attracted around 4.7 per cent of the primary vote. It appears most of Joram Richa’s preferences have gone to Mr Alexander. The by-election in the northwestern suburban electorate in Sydney was called after Mr Alexander resigned from parliament after he suspected he was a dual citizen.

Saturday’s by-election became a tight contest after Labor took up the fight for the seat by selecting former NSW premier Ms Keneally, and throwing big names and resources into its campaign.

But the by-election was lesss about the candidates, and more about the future of the Turnbull government and Malcolm Turnbull’s leadership.

A Liberal loss would have left the government with 75 seats, meaning the coalition would no longer have a majority in the House of Representatives. But it would still be able to govern with crossbencher Cathy McGowan guaranteeing confidence and supply.

Both Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Opposition Leader Bill Shorten were at polling booths in the Sydney electorate today, joined by a swathe of high-profile politicians.

Treasurer Scott Morrison, Defence Industry Minister Christopher Pyne and Defence Minister Marise Payne were out supporting Liberal candidate John Alexander in the northwestern suburban electorate.

Senator Payne, who described Mr Alexander as "a great friend", handed out how- to-vote cards at a local school in the morning.

Meanwhile, Mr Shorten was joined by opposition infrastructure spokesman Anthony Albanese to campaign with Labor’s star candidate Kristina Keneally.

Australian Conservatives leader Cory Bernardi visited Epping Public School with candidate Joram Richa, where the pair were confronted by a transgender woman.

"I’m not what you guys think -- all you religious nuts," said the woman, who introduced herself as Julia.

Senator Bernardi told reporters he hoped his party garnered enough votes to impact the outcome of the election.

The month-long campaign turned dirty in its final week as polls suggesting the two candidates were neck and neck.

While Labor had sought to redefine Saturday’s poll as a referendum on Mr Turnbull’s leadership, the Liberals worked hard to remind voters of Ms Keneally’s past as NSW premier and her links to corrupt state MPs such as Eddie Obeid.

Harry Johnson, 31, told AAP the Liberals’ smear campaign against Ms Keneally had influenced him to vote for Mr Alexander.

"It was a little bit malicious but it does have an effect on people and it does swap people’s thinking, so I suppose it did work to a degree, on me at least," Mr Johnson said.

James Stewart and his wife Carol told AAP they voted for Ms Keneally because they hoped she would help resolve issues with parking and footpaths in North Ryde.

They were also unhappy with the performances of Mr Alexander and the prime minister, with Mr Stewart saying the same-sex marriage postal vote, which he considered unnecessary, was another issue that helped sway his decision. Mr Turnbull acknowledged it was a "very, very close contest" when he and Mr Alexander met with voters at Gladesville Public School.

"Australia’s security and prosperity depends on John Alexander being back part of our government, delivering more than 1000 jobs a day," he said. Mr Shorten, who joined Ms Keneally at Ryde East Public School, said the election was an opportunity to send the Turnbull government a message. "We know this government is out of touch, and here in Bennelong the people have a chance to say ’pull your socks up, mate’."

The by-election was called after Mr Alexander resigned from parliament after he suspected he was a dual citizen.

A Galaxy poll published in The Daily Telegraph had forecast a close result, with Mr Alexander holding a narrow 51-49 two-party lead over his Labor rival.

Mr Turnbull acknowledged it was a "very, very close contest" when he and Liberal candidate John Alexander met with voters at Gladesville Public School. "Australia’s security and prosperity depends on John Alexander being back part of our government, delivering more than 1000 jobs a day," he said.

https://thewest.com.au/politics/federal-politics/bennelong-by-election-john-alexanders-win-marred-by-bizarre-joke-about-disabled-people-ng-b88693221z

No doubt both major parties as well as Cory Bernadi's Australian Conservative party will be taking positives out of this by-election.
However, there are aspects of this report that had me shaking my head. The PC brigade were back at it again with their reaction to John Alexander's anecdote. The way I read it was he was recounting how he was told he was eligible for a disabled sticker but was too proud to accept one. Since entering politics he is saying he has had to swallow his pride. How this can be described as a "bizarre joke about disabled people" is beyond my comprehension.

The article also describes how one voter was influenced by "the Liberal's smear campaign against Ms Kenneally." I find that a bit rich considering Kristina Kenneally tried to play the race card against Malcolm Turnbull in an attempt to influence the Chinese voters that comprise a large percentage of the Bennelong electorate.

And then there was the incident involving the transgender woman. The SSM bill has been passed and that should be it. Instead we have one of the alphabet people abusing conservatives for their religious beliefs.

--------------------
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed,
if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
- Mark Twain

"A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw
PMEmail
^
Alicia
 Posted: Dec 17 2017, 09:59 AM

Ruby

Group: Active Member
Member No.: 53

Rep: 7 pts

Now Mr Shorten wants to inflict Ms Keneally on all of us by giving her a seat in the senate. Now that is how Labor “listens” to the voters. Maybe he could take a peek at the Bennelong by-election results again and do his sums. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/rolleyes.gif
PMEmail
^
Charles
 Posted: Dec 17 2017, 10:40 AM

Rana Capillum

QUOTE (Alicia @ Dec 17 2017, 09:59 AM)
Now Mr Shorten wants to inflict Ms Keneally on all of us by giving her a seat in the senate. Now that is how Labor “listens”  to the voters. Maybe he could take a peek at the Bennelong by-election results again and do his sums. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/rolleyes.gif

Shorten needs to think long and hard about this. Keneally was somewhat of a "Captain's Choice" as candidate for the Bennelong seat and, judging by his behaviour, he is enamoured with this twice failed wannabe.

--------------------
- Mark Twain

"A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw
PMEmail
^
Michael.W
 Posted: Dec 17 2017, 01:03 PM

Gold

Member No.: 58

Rep: 46 pts

Charles, Shortens sling shoot move to have KK in the senate was raised last week, Shorten said that it was all hype. Well know who is the lair and the untrustworthy person is. Shorten just keeps on nailing the coffin shut with one step forward and 3 steps backwards. He back Slippery Sam and that fell flat in his face, He did the same with Rudd, Gillard, Rudd, Williamson,Thompson and others, They have all been proven otherwise.

I doubt NSW voters will be please if he does replace KK with SAM after all the corruption that has resulted in Labor members being placed in jail, when under KK premiership.
PM
^
Michael.W
 Posted: Dec 17 2017, 01:11 PM

Gold

Shorten has being hyping up the results as Federal Labor win towards the next election, If Albo was the Labor leader I reckon Turnbull would be in strife. But I seems clear that Shorten is very much on the nose with the Australian Voters.

I guess banging your head against a brick wall doesn't penetrate through his thick scull.
PM
^
Bill
 Posted: Dec 17 2017, 01:52 PM

Gold

Member No.: 85

Rep: 8 pts

Roughly a 6% swing against the incumbent in a blue ribbon coalition seat. Hmm.

If that swing was repeated across the board in a Federal election held next weekend, the coalition would lose at least 24 seats and government.

Turnbull can celebrate all he likes, but the message is still the same. The voters of Australia will turf him and his government out of office at the first available opportunity. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/biggrin.gif http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/lbill.gif

At least now, Sam Dastyari can get on with his life, whatever that means. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/biggrin.gif

--------------------
It's a tough gig being the only duck in the shooting gallery
PM
^
Flin
 Posted: Dec 17 2017, 03:45 PM

Supremo Poster

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Rep: 47 pts

I keep wondering if political parties will ever wake up to the fact that recycling losers is not a way to win elections. http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_don_t_know.gif

--------------------
Living In An Elected Dictatorship
Flin's opinions and comments reflect his perception of the facts and not necessarily reality
PMEmailWebsite
^
Charles
 Posted: Dec 17 2017, 05:16 PM

Rana Capillum

"Roughly a 6% swing against the incumbent in a blue ribbon coalition seat. Hmm."

Much of that swing went towards the Australian Conservatives candidate who polled 4.7% of the primary.
By-elections more often than not show some sort of swing against the incumbent - particularly when that incumbent is a member of the party in power.
With a high profile candidate and factors telling against John Alexander ("Mr Alexander's campaign was hindered by allegations he delayed revealing his constitutional concerns, and accusations the Coalition is running anti-China rhetoric in its attack on outgoing Labor senator Sam Dastyari.") and Ms Keneally's claim that Malcolm Turnbull was "China-phobic" the pundits expected a bigger swing. Despite Shorten and Keneally indulging in self-congratulatory rhetoric, this was not a win for Labor.

"If that swing was repeated across the board in a Federal election held next weekend, the coalition would lose at least 24 seats and government."

That's a quote straight from Keneally's speech when conceding defeat. "Let's just understand what this means. If this result was replicated at a general election we would see 24 to 28 seats fall."

--------------------
- Mark Twain

PMEmail
^
Michael.W
 Posted: Dec 17 2017, 06:55 PM

Gold

Liberals 36725 votes -5.53 % swing

Labor 29462 votes +7.52 % swing

Greens 5489 votes -2.72 % swing

Conservatives 3531 votes +4.31% swing

Christian Democrats 2541 votes -3.29 % swing

Science party 1004 votes +1.23 % swing

ALA 700 votes +0.86 % swing

Formal Votes 81834 -2.15 % swing
Informal Votes 6388 +2.15% swing

Not taking into account a lot of other small parties hear I would say that both major parties are in deep trouble. depending on preferential votes are tallied I say that Turnbull should reconsider his position on how he and his party are preforming to voters as it clear that 42163 people did not vote for either major party.

That's 51.5 % of the people in one electorate only are taking there votes else where away from the 2 major parties.

these figures were taken from the AEC at 7pm AEST

This post has been edited by Michael.W: Dec 18 2017, 07:06 AM
PM
^
charka
 Posted: Dec 17 2017, 09:24 PM

Supremo Poster

Member No.: 11

Rep: 48 pts

so the lies and posturing has finished
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (5) 1 2 3 ... Last »
Add Reply
New Poll