Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Citizenship Crisis May Snare Lambie
Charles
 Posted: Nov 13 2017, 05:16 PM

Rana Capillum

Group: Featured Blogers
Member No.: 17

Rep: 141 pts

Citizenship crisis: Jacqui Lambie could be next to resign from Senate due to dual citizenship

News Corp and Paul Osborne, AAP
Monday, 13 November 2017 11:05AM

user posted image

UPDATE: Tasmanian senator Jacqui Lambie is understood to be preparing to quit the Senate over dual citizenship.

News Corp understands Senator Lambie has informed the Turnbull Government and senate colleagues she will resign over section 44 issue.

She is understood to have sought "urgent advice" as to whether she holds dual citizenship through her Scottish-born father and will resign from the Senate immediately if that is confirmed.

It came as Australian Conservatives Cory Bernardi told the Senate the government was aware of another senator who has concerns over their eligibility to sit in parliament and was keeping the matter a secret.

Senator Bernardi has been calling for parliament to be suspended until the citizenship issue is resolved.

But Senator Lambie said she hoped to receive the advice within the next 24 hours, but said Tasmanians would "be the first to know".

Senator Lambie revealed she might have a problem on Wednesday last week.

"I’m happy to put on record that I’m satisfied that my parents are both Australian citizens and I have no concerns about me being a dual citizen because of where they were born or came from, in the case of my father, as an infant," she said at the time.

"His father, my grandfather, came to Australia to enlist in the Army in fact.
As far as I’m concerned all their affairs are in order as are mine."

"A citizenship audit of all parliamentarians will clear the air once and for all which is why I’m supporting such a move 100 per cent."

She will be the eighth federal politician to be caught up in the citizenship crisis since July.

Meanwhile Senators will be set a December 1 deadline to disclose details of their family history and any dual citizenship renunciation, in a bid to clear up any eligibility problems.

A deal was struck between Labor and the coalition on Monday for a motion to force all senators to publicly disclose the information.

The Senate would then decide if anyone else will be referred to the High Court.

The House of Representatives does not resume sitting until November 27 and is expected to pass a similar resolution.

Leader of the House Christopher Pyne says the agreed process reflects that which the government proposed last week and is a “good outcome”.
However, Labor sources say the shorter deadline and extra information to be disclosed go beyond that proposed by the cabinet.

“All senators will be asked to make a declaration to the Senate by December 1 as to their citizenship status,” Mr Pyne told reporters in Canberra.

“If there is a doubt or if they have a reason in the past, a parent for example with the citizenship of another country, then they have to clear that doubt up by showing how they went about relinquishing that citizenship or what the laws are that show they aren’t entitled to any dual citizenship.”

He called on Labor Leader Bill Shorten to settle on a resolution for the House

https://thewest.com.au/politics/federal-politics/citizenship-crisis-mps-have-until-december-1-to-disclose-citizenship-status-as-coalition-and-labor-strike-a-deal-ng-b88657707z

This whole saga has become a farce! http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_don_t_know.gif

--------------------
"In our age there is no such thing as 'keeping out of politics.' All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred and schizophrenia." - George Orwell

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

PMEmail
^
scepo
 Posted: Nov 13 2017, 05:26 PM

Supremo Poster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3

Rep: 65 pts

I think Cory was right in the first place.

The parliament should have been suspended until the citizenship issue is resolved.

It's a farce alright Charles.

--------------------
Everybody is Willing:
Some are willing to work, the rest are willing to let them!

The older I get, the better I was.
PM
^
Alicia
 Posted: Nov 13 2017, 06:12 PM

Ruby

Group: Active Member
Member No.: 53

Rep: 7 pts

A double dissolution should be the response with the current PM as caretaker and they can wreck our Christmas with all their election argy - bargy, stupid schemes and ideas on how to sink us even deeper into the quagmire of bankruptcy and despair. After that what we ended up with for a Govt surely couldn't be worse than that!, could it ? http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_don_t_know.gif https://s20.postimg.org/x68t0lwf1/1120275_KASPa_Hdl.gif http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/lbill.gif http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Alicia: Nov 13 2017, 06:13 PM
PMEmail
^
Flin
 Posted: Nov 13 2017, 06:18 PM

Supremo Poster

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Rep: 47 pts

Just when we think the government might move on to something really beneficial to the nation, they redeem themselves and go down another unfruitful rabbit trail.
How low can they go?
http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/mad.gif

--------------------
Living In An Elected Dictatorship
Flin's opinions and comments reflect his perception of the facts and not necessarily reality
PMEmailWebsite
^
Jonno
 Posted: Nov 13 2017, 07:40 PM

Platinum

Member No.: 86

Rep: 21 pts

In the grand scheme of honour, respectability, trustworthiness, consideration, stature, and compliance by agreeing to be a servant of The People Of Australia, every thieving, lying, self-important politician is nothing more than a swamp-dwelling, festering amoeba dwelling at the bottom of a cess-pool and that is the closest place possible to be the lowest of the lowest creatures on the planet, even the poisonous crap suspended above them is skimmed and burned.
Voting for a politician is a vote to allow ones-self to become a slave, flogged mentally and stripped continuously of every moral fibre with which you were born as a human being.
Every inhabitant of Australia, and other Western societies are being psychologically flogged on a daily basis, their dignity stripped bare with golden whips carried by the dictator politicians, paid for with the blood, sweat and tears of exorbitant taxes and forget the appreciation a in return.
Feed an animal, receive appreciation ...... too many sub-intellect people feed politicians .. that is NOT the correct programme in real life.....

Work it out , WE are told that WE live in a DEMOCRACY, but we a r forced to vote .... that is dictating, as always I will not be dictated to by any human being who is inferior in every way to myself.

--------------------
Equality among humans is a myth, individuality is a fact of life and obliterates equality.
Alain Schulz

Natural laws can never be over-ruled by man-made laws, the law-makers become greater fools by trying.
William Larber
PMEmailMSN
^
Flin
 Posted: Nov 14 2017, 08:44 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Rep: 47 pts

Jacqui Lambie to resign from Senate after British citizenship confirmed

Senator Jacqui Lambie will resign today after finding she is eligible for British citizenship by descent because her father was Scottish. But the Tasmanian independent is refusing to rule out another tilt at federal politics.

Bring on the audit. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/mad.gif

--------------------
Living In An Elected Dictatorship
Flin's opinions and comments reflect his perception of the facts and not necessarily reality
PMEmailWebsite
^
charka
 Posted: Nov 14 2017, 08:54 AM

Supremo Poster

Member No.: 11

Rep: 48 pts

If you are in the job illegally why should you not have to refund cash Nothing said has legal merit

This post has been edited by charka: Nov 14 2017, 09:59 AM
PMEmail
^
Michael.W
 Posted: Nov 14 2017, 12:29 PM

Gold

Member No.: 58

Rep: 46 pts

What about all the Labor MP's & Senators who are Dual Citizens. I read yesterday that there is an out apparently.

If your dual citizenship is not renounceable then there are still eligible to stand in parliament, this apparently applies to 2 current Labor pollies. How on gods earth if true can this be right.
PM
^
lee
 Posted: Nov 14 2017, 01:05 PM

Rana Capillum

Member No.: 48

Rep: 17 pts

QUOTE (Michael.W @ Nov 14 2017, 10:29 AM)
What about all the Labor MP's & Senators who are Dual Citizens. I read yesterday that there is an out apparently.

If your dual citizenship is not renounceable then there are still eligible to stand in parliament, this apparently applies to 2 current Labor pollies. How on gods earth if true can this be right.

That's true. It applies ifthat occurs, a few countries. it also applies where a country refuses the renunciation, if they have to document to show that.

Otherwise they need the document of renunciation before nominating.

--------------------
Life is neither a race to the end, nor a slow ramble whose sole aim is longevity

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
PM
^
charka
 Posted: Nov 14 2017, 01:16 PM

Supremo Poster

Member No.: 11

Rep: 48 pts

good to see them squirm
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Other Political News | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll