Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Is Di Natale a Hypocrite?
scepo
 Posted: Feb 8 2018, 06:34 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3

Rep: 65 pts

I find it difficult to have a one sided conversation.

It seems I haven't yet reached the stage where I enjoy talking to myself. http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_don_t_know.gif

The question asked in this topic is "Is Di Natalie a hypocrite?" My answer is that there are many hypocrites amongst our pollies and Di Natalie is one of them.

--------------------
Everybody is Willing:
Some are willing to work, the rest are willing to let them!

The older I get, the better I was.
PM
^
charka
 Posted: Feb 8 2018, 06:59 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Active Member
Member No.: 11

Rep: 48 pts

Many more than less Look at the joyce did he take his lead off hawke
PMEmail
^
Flin
 Posted: Feb 8 2018, 07:05 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Rep: 47 pts

"Richard Luiji Di Natale. The son of Italian immigrants. That right. His parents fought against us during the war. No one in his family fought or died for the country he is critical of while he is taking advantage of it.

This statement is racist, because it seeks to vilify someone, in this case Richard Di Natale, on the basis of his Italian Heritage. Can't you see that Flin. ?"

No I can't Bill. Mentioning someone's nationality does not define their race.

Example; "The son of Australian parents named Joe Blow, is an idiot."
http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Living In An Elected Dictatorship
Flin's opinions and comments reflect his perception of the facts and not necessarily reality
PMEmailWebsite
^
Charles
 Posted: Feb 8 2018, 07:39 AM

Rana Capillum

Group: Featured Blogers
Member No.: 17

Rep: 142 pts

Bill, you wrote, "Hmmmm - I would have thought that it might be relevant when discussing the migrant background of Richard Di Natale's family, it was relevant to point out that Australia had accepted migrants from a wide ranging European background including some who accept the benefits of living in Australia without the commitment to take out Australian citizenship. Only one group of migrants lack that commitment"

Australian citizenship and British migrants needs to be examined more closely before making your usual Anglophobic comments.

"The 1948 Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting decided to make major changes in nationality laws throughout the Commonwealth, following Canada's decision to enact its Canadian citizenship law, effective January 1, 1947. Until then all Commonwealth countries, with the exception of the Irish Free State, had a single nationality status of British subject. It was decided at that conference that the United Kingdom and the self-governing dominions would each adopt a separate national citizenship, while retaining the common status of British subject. The Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948, which came into force on 26 January 1949, gave effect to that arrangement and created the concept of Australian nationality while continuing to be British subjects."

"The relationship between Australian citizenship and a citizen of the British Empire or Commonwealth continued to evolve. In 1986, the Australia Act 1986 severed almost all of the last remaining constitutional links between the United Kingdom and Australia. Subsequently, in 1988, for the first time, the High Court ruled that anyone who was not an Australian citizen, whether or not a subject of the Monarch of the United Kingdom, was an alien."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_nationality_law

The Assisted Passage Migration scheme, which gave rise to the Ten Pound Pom tag, was introduced by the Chifley government in 1944. In 1973 the ten pound was increased to 75 pound and the scheme was terminated in 1982.

On that basis, the "Ten Pound Poms" arrived between 1944 and 1973. It wasn't until 1988 that these immigrants were required to take out Australian Citizenship. By then they had spent at least 15 years in Australia with many having spent most of their adult life here. To suggest that these people "lack commitment" to Australia is a disgraceful insult. I say that because my parents were "Ten Pound Poms" who arrived here in 1953 with 4 children in tow. They were totally commited to Australia and proudly called themselves Australian. As Dad said after the 1988 legislation, "I don't need a piece of paper to prove I'm an Australian. I've been one for over 30 years."

--------------------
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed,
if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
- Mark Twain

"A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw
PMEmail
^
charka
 Posted: Feb 8 2018, 02:51 PM

Supremo Poster

Group: Active Member
Member No.: 11

Rep: 48 pts

I served in vietnam yet in 180 i had to become an australian citizen I did not do a hiss fit just did it
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Other Political News | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll